Wednesday, September 14, 2011

SURPRISE!

On August 31st, David celebrated his 29th birthday. He worked late, but I made him a yummy dinner and a brownie cake. Little did he know that I was planning a surprise birthday party with all of our friends that  upcoming Friday. David has ALWAYS wanted a surprise party. When I turned 19 (it was the summer we met and we’d only been dating a few weeks) he had all my friends gather at his house while we went to lunch. When we got back to his house and walked in the door, all my friends were there to greet me with a “Surprise!” I had NO idea!! He has been talking about it ever since, proclaiming that I could never get him like he got me. HA! It may have taken me close to 10 years, but I got him!!

Our good friend, Caleb, sent out an email the week of David’s birthday inviting all the guys to come over to his house for a guys night. David got the email and immediately came to as me if he could go. It took everything in me NOT to bust out laughing!! I gave him a little bit of a hard time, “Honey, you’re working so much and you work 24 hours the following day. The kids and I would really like to spend time with you, but I know it’s important for you to hang out with the guys too, so… fine you can go. But, please don’t be out too late!” Worked like a charm!

So on Friday, I prepared and cooked the food, and went over to Emily and Caleb’s house after the girls woke up from their nap to set everything up. David actually ended up getting off work a little early and called to let me know he’d be coming home before guys night so he could see us. UHHHH – “Sorry honey, we are out at a friends house for an afternoon play date. Since you were going to guys night, the girls and I decided to get together.” I HATE lying, but it was for a good cause! :)

Finally, it was time for the surprise. 7 o’clock rolled around and David’s car pulled up. Everyone, except for the guys coming to the guys night, hid behind the island in the kitchen. Caleb opened the door and made some small talk until David walked around the corner and we all jumped out and yelled, “SURPRISE!” His face was priceless. He truly had NO idea!!!

IMG_7978 crop

IMG_7981

 

It was a “tail-gate” themed party since the Gator’s first game was the following day and Dave was going to have to miss it since he was working a 24 hour shift. Everyone wore their gator attire and the food was tail-gate style… Pulled pork sandwiches, twice baked potatoes, chicken wings, buffalo chicken dip, celery and ranch, chips and salsa, and a few other goodies. It was delicious!!

IMG_7971

Surprise b-day!! 001

Surprise b-day!! 002

Surprise b-day!! 005

 

The first thing we did was roast David. It was so much fun!! I told everyone to complete the sentence, “You know you’re David Smith when… “ We had him sit in the front of the room and everyone read him the “roast” they had prepared. He was a little nervous about it, but it turned out really cute!

IMG_7983

IMG_7990

Some of my favorites were,

  • “You might be David Smith if you think it’s ok (or cool) to sleep and drive.” – He pretty much drives to work with his eyes closed. I’m not condoning it. The kid needs to drink coffee!
  • “You might be David Smith if the Saturday of your dreams is shopping at Lowes and doing a DIY project at the house.”
  • “You might be David Smith if you could be found running barefoot through the Appalachian Mountains.” – He runs in minimalist shoes now and just ran a marathon up in the mountains!
  • “You might be David Smith if you’re “Mr. Premier!”” – He is just a hubby who supports his wife in selling jewelry! :)

It really was loads of fun! Then, we all just hung out and celebrated David. Emily made her famous cake balls, I made an Oreo Birthday Cake, and Lacy made rice crispy treats in the shape of a “29.”

IMG_7944

IMG_7999 crop

IMG_8038

 

All the kiddos had fun too! There were only 2 boys amongst all the girls! We did get a picture of all the girls in their Gator Gear. Too cute!!

Surprise b-day!! 035

Surprise b-day!! 044

Surprise b-day!! 025

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just look at those sweet girls of mine! I could just eat them up!!

Here were all the guys who were supposed to come out for a “guys night!” We thought we’d include the boys in this picture too since there were only 2 of them!!

IMG_8013

 

The party was a huge success and I’m so glad I can finally say that I got David. I really am bad about keeping surprises on the DL. My face says it all. I think David’s crazy work schedule helped me contain the news. So glad we got to celebrate my sweet hubby on his 29th birthday!!

Surprise b-day!! 009

1 comment:

Richard said...

Really a great surprise. I love the food prepared. Looks yummy.

best pre workout supplement 2011