Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thankful Thursday

As I was reading my bible yesterday, I stumbled upon a few verses in Colossians that reminded me to be thankful.

Col 2:7 – Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness.

Col 3:15 – And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.

Col 4:2 – Devote yourself to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart.

As I was vacuuming this afternoon with my little one following close behind as she always does when I vacuum, my mind was flooded with those verses from yesterday. I have so much to be thankful for. It’s so easy to get caught up in discontentment. At least for me anyway. I may always want a bigger house to live in, a nicer couch, a yard for my child and dog to play in, a new bed since ours is from my husbands high school days, etc, etc, etc… But, why waste my time feeling discontent over those things? I have a wonderful, Godly husband; a beautiful, healthy little girl; an amazing, merciful God who loves me; a roof over my head; food to eat; a car to drive: a job to help with the monthly income, wonderful friends, etc, etc, etc… I am so thankful!!

IMG_7638

 

What are you thankful for today?

2 comments:

The Helms Family said...

Thanks for sharing these verses! God has been showing me the same thing lately. It's so easy to get caught up in being negative that we forget how much God has truly blessed us. Love you Danielle! I also like 1 Thess. 5:16-18. I try to say it daily :)

Laura said...

This is a quote that I love that reminds me of this very same topic...
"Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful." - Buddha
Within my classmates right now, I feel like some folks are those always focusing on the negative, negative, negative and not rejoicing in what they are learning and the mere fact that they are alive and able to enjoy this process! I made a pact with myself to try to exude positivity and hope that it becomes contagious :) I'm glad for your post on this, and that you are focusing on the amazing things we have in our lives: love, family, friends, happiness!!!