Saturday, August 28, 2010

Paula Dean’s Baby Food …. or something like that!

In all the years I have been a wife, cooking has not been my best attribute. Don’t get me wrong, I have a few good recipes up my sleeve (thanks to my Apples of Gold class last spring), but I’m definitely no Paula Dean! However, when it comes to making baby food, I’m ALL ABOUT IT!

 

Cori & Claire 020

A friend of my introduced me to a GREAT website called Wholesome Baby Food when our babies started approaching the 6 month solid food window. I hadn’t really thought too much about whether or not I wanted to make my own baby food for Cori or if I’d just buy it in the store, but after spending some time on that website, I thought I’d give it a try. After all, how hard could it be to make your own baby food?

Ya’ll let me tell you – I have absolutely LOVED making my own baby food, not to mention it’s a whole lot CHEAPER and HEALTHIER than that stuff in the store. I can’t even begin to explain the excitement I feel when I buy fresh green beans, bring them home, wash them, chop then, steam them, puree them, and freeze them. I seriously could make baby food all day! Maybe I’ll become the Paula Dean of baby foods – haha! I’m sure my husband would appreciate eating that for dinner! :) But seriously, for $1.29 I fed my child for 4 days, eating twice a day. You just can’t beat that!

We started solids right at 6 months, eating just once a day at dinner as a family (since that’s when my milk supply was the lowest!). At around 7 1/2 months, we moved to twice a day (lunch and dinner) and she is LOVING it! I haven’t found one thing she doesn’t like! She has tried yellow squash, green beans, avocado, carrots, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, bananas, blueberries, and just yesterday I baked some peaches – they were delicious! My next adventure is homemade applesauce! I can’t wait! Oh, and if you’re wondering where I get all these wonderful recipes for baby food – don’t forget to check out that website!

Cori eating and other things 003

Cori eating and other things 004

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Here she is enjoying some avocado. I think it’s hilarious that she sucks her thumb in between bites. I know it’s not promoting the best of table manners, but I think she does it to help her swallow.

 

cori b 057

However, if you leave your child to eat with her grandmother, be prepared to come back to find this!! HAHA!!

2 comments:

Surrounded-By-Boys said...

Proud of you!!! Glad you are doing this for CB!! I never did it for my kids, but it always looked interesting!

Carrie said...

I know just what you mean. I loved making Allie baby food! I know it was so much better for her than what we bought in the store. Good for you!