Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Busy Bees!

Whew! We have had a busy week! Which may or may not explain my absence from blogging! HA!

Even though we know we are moving come June, we have been itching to do some home improvement projects. Our first project that we took on a few weeks ago was re-organizing our closet. If you happen to follow me on Pinterest, you would have seen some new boards and pins of closet and office organization! Oh, how I love me some organization!

Our main reason to re-organize our closet was to make some space for Finley. Stop right there. I know what you’re thinking. “You’re putting your baby in your closet?” HA! … YES, we are! We have a huge walk in closet and poor thing just wasn’t getting good sleep in our room. She isn’t quite ready to move into her big sisters room so we decided a little nursery in the closet was our next best choice. It’s been fabulous! Little one gets some good rest in a nice, peaceful, cozy, dark space. And, we get some zzz’s as well! It’s a win, win! Here is a peak into our closet space…

projects 039ps

 

I’m loving it! When you round the corner to the left, Finley’s pack and play is on the back wall. I’m thinking of hanging a sweet picture over her bed to really make it have the feel of a mini nursery.

Did I mention that my amazing hubby (and Lance) put in all the new closet shelving?! He is such the handy man!! :) Once the closet was installed, Dave’s next project was building a white washed distressed frame for this huge fish we have hanging in our room that we bought for our 5th anniversary. It was quite the project! First, Dave bought some wood at Lowes. Cut it to size, and glued it together to make a frame literally the size of our dining room table!

Sunglasses 001ps

 

He then started painting it black as you can see in the picture above. Once the black dried, he put a very THIN layer of white on top. Then, he preceded to paint the frame with Elmer’s glue. Once the Elmer’s glue was dry enough to feel sticky, but not completely dry, he coated a THICK layer of white on top. To create the distressed look, he used a hair dryer while the paint was still wet to shift the paint and create cracks.

Sunglasses 005ps

 

When it was all said and done, it looked like this!

Sunglasses 006ps

 

Then, we hung it up on the wall in our room. I do LOVE it!

projects 004ps

 

The next project was getting NEW carpet! Our carpet was not the prettiest thing on the block. In fact, I might have described it as disgusting! It was going on 6 years old with two kids and a dog that sheds. It had stain after stain and we couldn’t seem to get them out. Being that we are moving in June, I didn’t think anyone would want to buy or rent our place with the carpet we had. So, why not get new carpets NOW so we could enjoy them too?!

We basically had to move out of our house for an entire day to have the carpets done. All of our furniture had to be moved and when they finally finished the project around 7:30 pm, I came home to a house turned completely upside down. But, the carpets looked amazing!! It gives such a fresh new look to the house. Here is a sample, although the picture certainly doesn’t do it justice …

projects 006ps

 

To add to the craziness of getting new carpet last Thursday, we also took a trip to the ER! Except this time, we weren’t going to visit daddy at work, we were patients! … I was putting Cori in her car seat after Mom’s Group Thursday afternoon when I heard a pop in her wrist. It sounded like a knuckle popping, but she was in immediate pain! Dave was off work so we met him at a friends house so he could take a look at it. She cried the ENTIRE way there. :( She refused to use her right arm at all. It laid by her side and she held it saying that it hurt. She went from her sweet, bubbly self, to a shy, sad little girl. SO depressing! We decided an x-ray was in order.

Dave originally was going to just take her in. Finley was sleeping and I was supposed to watch my friend’s kids that afternoon. About 5 minutes after they left, I completely lost it! What was I thinking letting my little girl go to the ER for the FIRST time with out me?!?! How could I not be there?!? I called Dave, balling my eyes out, and decided I’d meet them there. I loaded sleeping Finley into the Honda Civic and headed to the hospital. When I got there, Cori and Dave were waiting for me in the ER lobby. We went right back. VIP service! We waited for a few minutes in a room before they took us back for x-rays. Dave sat with her during the whole x-ray process and she balled her eyes out the entire time. It was so sad! During x-rays Dave said he heard another pop and as soon as all was said and done, she returned back to her normal self. She literally got up from the x-ray chair, wiped her tears, regained a smile, and skipped back into our room. Yep, it was Nursemaid’s Elbow. SO glad it wasn’t anything serious! Here is a picture of Miss Priss back to her normal self!

cori ERps

 

We ended our week with a NEW bed! Dave’s parents decided that it was time for them to get a new bed. Being that our bed was Dave’s bed from  high school, they thought we might want a new one. So, they offered their old bed to us. It was certainly newer than the bed we were sleeping in and we also got to upgrade from a Queen to a KING! Score! It’s super comfortable and I think it looks great in our room!

projects 002ps

 

Whew, it was a busy week! Now onto Thanksgiving tomorrow. YUM!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

First of all, I have to tell you that my husband (who used to be a professional closetmaid installer) was checking out your closet picture and said it looks like it was done by a professional. He was really impressed.
We used to have a huge closet in Gainesville, and many times it was used as a nursery. Why not?! :o)