Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thoughts on a page…

It’s been 3 days since I’ve blogged. I know, that’s unheard of for me, right?!? It’s actually been stressing me out!! In my mind I keep thinking that I have a Tot School post that needs to go up, a What I Love About  You post that needs to go up, a Halloween post that needs to go up, etc, etc, etc!! A girl can’t help but feel overwhelmed!!

Today, I opened my bible for some time in the word and what did I read about - Self Control! Proverbs 25:28 states, a man (women in my case!) who lacks self control is like a city whose walls are broken down. Walls around a city are protection for that city. Self control for us, is our wall of protection. We must be disciplined so we can be protected. Paul stated in 1 Corinthians 6:12, Everything is permissible for me, but not everything is beneficial. Oh, how I needed to hear that!

That’s where this blog post comes in. The opposite of self control in my world at the moment is wasting time (ahem, on the computer) and blogging. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with blogging. It’s my form of scrapbooking and keeping a record of my life. But, when blogging becomes sort of an idol, we are lacking in our own self control .. and that’s where the holy spirit must do some convicting in our life. I love publishing a new blog and I love doing it often!! It doesn’t mean more people read my blog because I post often, I just like putting up a new post as much as I can. Why? I guess it’s some sort of pride issue. Help me Lord!

So what does that mean, and why am I blogging about it?!?! Ha, good question! Of course I’m going to continue to blog, but you may not see a post every single day, and if I happen to miss a post like Tot School, I’m not going to stress about it! I’ll either get to it when I get to it, or I’ll get to it the following week! My number one priority right now must be on my child. There is a problem when she is playing by herself just so I can post a “necessary” blog. So, when she is napping (like right now!!) blogging is something I like to do, but when she is awake, self control must take over and all my attention needs to be focused on her! The same thing goes when my husband is home. There have been nights when he is ready to go to bed and I so selfishly say, “Honey, I NEED to get this post up before bed. I’ll be there in a few.” Jesus, help me! When words like that come out of my mouth, I’m basically saying to him that blogging is more important than he is. Honey, I’m sorry!

I don’t know what your lack of discipline or self control looks like, but I have just explained what mine looks like. Ouch! Thank you, God for the Holy Spirit who convicts us to change our ways. The author of a bible study I am doing stated, “Conviction is the feeling of discomfort or guilt we feel over a sin.” I had never heard conviction defined that way, but I think it’s a wonderful definition. I am convicted not to let blogging consume my life – posting or reading. I can certainly get carried away reading other people’s blogs too.

God has given you all you need for life and godliness – 2 Peter 1:3. Praying for all of you today to be filled with self control!

Much Love!

Danielle

1 comment:

Our Family for His Glory said...

Thank-you for your honesty!! I appreciate you showing us how God is working in your life! Anything we place above God is truly an idol, & I am so glad you are working to rid your life of any idols! I appreciate your blog, but even more appreciate your heart to follow God & His ways!
Jessica