Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Holy Week

carrying-the-cross

Today marks the first day of Holy Week. It’s the week that Jesus was betrayed with a kiss, found in the garden, taken captive, brought before the people who couldn’t stand him for no real reason, beaten, made to walk miles and miles carrying his own cross, hung on that cross, died, and buried. But it’s also the week where he rose from the dead. The greatest thing that could have ever happened. As sad as this week could be in thinking about the death of Jesus, I find such happiness in thinking about his resurrection. For in his resurrection, he completed the very plans laid forth by God.

As I prepare for Easter I want my mind to be on the things listed above. Easter is about Jesus. Period.

I read a blog today by Jen Hatmaker that just rocked my boat a little bit. She always does that. Her blog about Christmas was even more convicting. God truly uses her to speak to the masses! I strongly encourage you to read her latest post on Easter! For fun, I’m pasting her words from the first paragraph of her post below.

“Between ages 0-32, I celebrated Easter the fun way: with bunnies, baskets, and expensive clothes. What better way to say “Jesus reigns” than dressing my preschooler in a $45 dress to show her off in the church lobby? (You’re welcome, Jesus. Be blessed.)”

That resonated with me more than ever considering I just bought CB TWO new smock dresses – one for Mother’s Day and one for the summer. I didn’t buy one for Easter, although I so desperately wanted to. For what reason? Certainly not for Jesus.

So, as you prepare for Holy Week, Passover, and “Easter,” I pray for just a little conviction to creep into your spirit. I pray that we can remember that this season is about Jesus, alone.

“It was just before the Passover Feast.
Jesus knew that the time had come for him to leave this world and go to the Father.
Having loved his own who were in the world,
he now showed them the full extent of his love.”
~John 13:1

No comments: