Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Traditions

Before I get started on Christmas Traditions, I want to make note that today I stayed home ALL DAY! Well, it’s only 3 pm, but I don’t intend to go anywhere for the rest of the day. (That is until I have to leave for a jewelry show tonight.) .. I am taking the time to write this down because I’m always on the go. Lately I’ve been feeling a bit stressed and I attribute it to the fact that I’m NEVER home. A day at home it just what the kids and I needed. It’s been fabulous! Not to mention, Willie and his mommy (and his THREE little brothers) came over to play. I think I need to make a point to stay home a bit more often. I know Finley would sure appreciate a regular nap in the morning! :)

Now, onto the title of my post – Christmas Traditions. I’ve been racking my brain over the last few months about what kind of Christmas Traditions I want to start for my family. The only tradition I remember growing up is having our whole family get together on Christmas Eve at our house to eat and open presents. And then, of course, Santa.

I really wanted to start something with my girls leading up to Christmas. Like an Advent Calendar, but I didn’t want it to be a traditional Advent Calendar where they get a piece of candy everyday. Now, if that’s what you do with your family, that’s great! I just wanted to do something a little different. I want our girls to really know what Christmas is about – the REAL reason we even celebrate in the first place. And, I wanted to incorporate that into our Advent Calendar. So, I was on the hunt! About a week ago, just as December was beginning, I stumbled across this. It’s called Truth in the Tinsel and it’s a meaningful way to celebrate the days leading up to Christmas. It’s an e-book and downloads onto your computer in minutes for only $4.99. Each day, you read part of the Christmas story out of the bible, and then make an ornament that represents what you read. Cori is LOVING it!! We do it every morning after breakfast and she really looks forward to it. Her face lights up as I pull out my bible and craft supplies. She claps and smiles as she chants, “bible story, bible story!”

Here is our craft from Day 6. We colored Mary and Elizabeth and talked about the babies that were in their bellies – Jesus and John. Everyday we hang her hand-made ornaments on the mini tree in her room.

Truth in the Tinsel 005ps

Truth in the Tinsel 003ps

Truth in the Tinsel 007ps

I’m so excited about this Christmas Tradition. Next year we will get Finley her very own mini tree and they can both make ornaments to decorate their tree leading up to Christmas! LOVE it!

Some other Christmas Traditions David and I have talked about are…

  • Making Gingerbread Houses every Christmas Eve morning followed by…
  • Birthday Cake baking! That’s right, a birthday cake for Jesus!
  • Church every Christmas Eve.
  • Opening one present from Mom and Dad every Christmas Eve – I’m thinking Christmas Pajamas that they wear to bed that night!
  • Santa and a BIG Christmas morning breakfast!
  • Volunteering in some way to show the love of Jesus.

What kind of Christmas Traditions do you do with your family?

No comments: