Monday, August 24, 2009

Greater Things Have Yet to Come!

Today marks the beginning of a new season for me. School began today and it is the first time in 4 years I am not welcoming children into a classroom. This year would have been my 5th year teaching. It is crazy to think I have been out of college and teaching that long. Where does the time go? Those years in the classroom treated me well and if anything, they taught me how to be a better person. I think it's incredible when the profession you choose teaches you how to love deeper, care more, and to "be kinder than necessary because everyone is fighting some sort of battle" (a favorite quote of mine). Being a teacher also prepared me to be a much better mom. Even though I'm not technically a mom yet, I know I'll be a better one because of the experience I have from the classroom. Dealing with 18 children on a daily basis taught me so much, even though I went to school to learn how to teach them. I know I'll go back to teaching one day, but for now, I can't wait to teach my new little one come December.

One of the hardest parts for me at the moment is not having the baby here. If my sweet baby was here I don't think I would have as much sadness in my heart about not teaching this year, but I have to remember that "greater things have yet to come and greater things will be done" in my life. Those words from Chris Tomlin are such a reminder to me of God's plan. Full time teaching was His plan for me for a season, and it may be His plan for me at a later date, but currently there is a different plan for my life that I am waiting to unfold. Thank you Lord for your faithfulness.

So, today instead of being in the classroom, I am learning how to be a stay at home mom. I have started learning how to "coupon". Yes, I'm using that word as a verb because it takes a lot of doing to be good at couponing. I have started a new ritual of buying the Sunday paper every Sunday on the way home from church. Then I spend the afternoon researching the BOGO (buy one, get one) deals at Publix, Target, Walgreen's, and CVS while cutting out every store, manufacture and competitor coupon I can find. After I have a mess of coupons on my kitchen table, I organize my grocery list for the week. I literally write out where the best deal is, what the deal is, and how much money I can save using a coupon. (Look at that! I am not even at school and I'm using part of the 5 w's and the h! Go me!) It seems like a daunting task, but when I leave the store on Monday, I feel invigorated and ready for the next week of couponing to begin. I must admit, it was a bit overwhelming at the beginning and I am still learning the ropes, but if I'm going to be a stay at home mom, I better make it a goal to save money!

So today, I went to Publix, Walgreen's, and CVS to buy our weekly groceries. I bought 2 1bs of apples, 1 lb of bananas, 6 boxes of cereal, 2 boxes of cheeze-its, 2 boxes of mac & cheese, 2 loaves of bread, 2 frozen pizzas, 1 squeeze bottle of jelly, 2 bags of cape cod chips, 2 bottles of coffee-mate creamers, milk, toilet paper, Ibuprofen, dish detergent, and 2 packs of blank note cards to mail letters to my old students. I spent 50.02 total and saved 60.65 in coupons and store deals. I saved MORE than I spent and I'm not even an expert couponer yet. You should see how much some of my friends save! My favorite deal of the day was buying Ibuprofen and dish detergent for $4.80 total at Walgreen's as well as spending $0.99 for milk at CVS. Now, that's a deal!

Check out my groceries! :)

So far, my first day as a "soon to be" stay at home mom was a success! I am still working part time at Sun Country as their cheerleading director, so tomorrow is a working day, but we will see what other mommy things lie in store. We serve an awesome God who has a perfect plan for our lives. Just remember greater things have yet to come! And, when I'm having a bad day, hold me accountable and remind me of God's faithfulness. What else are friends for?

Much love to you all! Until next time..
dani

1 comment:

mama to many said...

I sooo love that post!!! YOU are certainly becoming an couponing master! I am so blessed by your friendship!!! Can't wait to meet baby GIRL Smitty!!!!!!