Sunday, March 1, 2009

Legacy

Last week was week 6 of my Beth Moore study on the book of Esther and I am learning so much. In class on Wednesday she talked about the reversal of destiny - how at one point in our lives we are on one path without God in our lives, and then once he swoops in and takes hold of our hearts, our destiny is reversed forever. This really made me stop and think where I would be right this very moment if I never allowed God to come into my life. Would I be the person I am? Would I be married to my amazing husband? Would David be a believer? Would the relationship with my family and friends be the same? There would be so many uncertainties. This reversal is the hinge of our lives and without it we may never truly know God. It is the resurrection of our lives.

I am sure many of you have heard the saying, "We have to die to ourselves before we can truly live." I am also sure many of you wonder what in the world that means. There was a time when I didn't understand it either. Dying to ourselves is the reversal; the resurrection of our own lives. Obviously it is not physical death, it's realizing that the way we are without God isn't good enough. Without God we are worldly individuals, concerned with the things of the world, rather than the things of God. Like Esther, we have to put on our royal robes because we will NEVER ordain our God given identities if we are straddling the fence. We have to let go of certain things in our lives, let the reversal happen, and see how amazing it is when we live our life for Christ instead of for ourselves. After all, we have to live in this world, but we don't have to be of it.

Here is a great song by Nicole Nordeman called Legacy. It truly makes me think about the purpose we have here on this Earth. I hope I can leave a legacy that points others towards the things that really matter.

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthly list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such will soon enough destroy

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...

You can hear the song and check out the video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbi4nSrhRxo

No comments: